Braised Pork Bao 扣肉包
My mum can make quite good kou rou bao! The bao is bought frozen from supermarket. But she makes the braised pork herself.
1. 1 kg pork belly (花肉)
2. 3 pieces of black garlic (黑花蒜)
3. 3 tbsp light soya sauce
4. 1 tbsp oyster sauce
5. some black soya sauce for colouring
6. 1 tbsp rock sugar (冰糖)
7. 4-5 tbsp rice wine with rose essence (玫瑰露)
1. Cut up the pork into appropriate slices.
2. Fragrant the work with garlic and throw in the pork. Fry till they change colour.
3. Add Ingredients (3) to (7).
4. Using medium fire, braise the pork till cooked and soft.
5. Serve with cut chillies and coriander.
*What is 玫瑰露?
It is a colourless, sweet, rice wine with rose essence. Its ingredients are water, sorghum, sugar and rose. It contains 28% alcohol. The brand we used is “Boon Quee Loh”, distributed by Ang Leong Huat (Pte) Ltd. A Double Dog Brand.
It is used to make the nutty type of mooncake, soup, chicken or drink on its own.