Purple Sweet Potato Chiffon Cake
Look at this pretty chiffon cake!! We usually have them in pandan flavour, but what my mum made was a lovely purple sweet potato one! I expected it to be hard and heavy cos’ of the sweet potato. But it was cottony, and doesn’t really taste of potato.
My mum got this recipe from kokken69 blog but she does some improvisation to the recipe. She is now very into food blog and reads them daily. She is even considering getting a computer. But poor us have to keep teaching and re-teaching her how to post, links, tag…etc. I guess she is just not apt at it.
So here’s the improvised method:
– 220 g egg white (about 6 large eggs)
– 100 g caster sugar
– 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
– egg yolk 80 g (about 5 large eggs)
– water 100 g
– corn oil 80 g
– lemon juice 15 ml/cc
– sweet potato 100 g (steamed and mashed)
– plain flour 100 g
– 1/2 tsp baking powder
– caster sugar 20 g
– sweet potato 140 g ( cut into cubes and steam)
1. Whisk egg yolk with the mashed potato. Add in water, sugar and lemon juice. Then add in oil. Whisk well to emulsify the oil.
2. Fold in sifted flour. Fold until flour is well incorporated into the egg yolk mixture.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk egg white till stiff but not dry. Fold into the yolk mixture carefully, then add in the potato cubes using a spatula.
4. Pour batter into a 23 cm/9″ chiffon cake tin.
5. Bake the cake at 165°C for 45 minutes or until cooked.
6. Remove cake from oven and invert the pan to cool.