红烧狮子头 Braised Meat Balls
My mum made this today! Huge meat ball served in 王罗波 (chinese cabbage)! Goes very well with rice and the sauce was perfect on hot fragrant rice! The meatballs were tender and moist inside. Not hard and dry at all! Every bite has a crunchy texture due to the water chestnuts. The chinese cabbage were soft and soaked with all the good ingredients of the sauce. However the preparation took a bit long. But no effort, no good food!
1. Mince lean pork till it becomes sticky.
2. Dice water chestnuts into small cubes.
3. Add in parsley, spring onion or corriander.
4. Add1 teaspoon of salt, a little Vesop, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, 2 teaspoons light soya sauce and a little pepper and knead them together until sticky.
5. Add in 2 tablespoon of cornflour and repeat kneading.
6. Divide the whole lump into 5 pieces and roll them into ball form.
1. Add 1 teaspoon of salt, Vesop 1/2 teaspoon, sugar 1 teaspoon, light soya sauce 2 teaspoons, 2 teaspoons oyster sauce, 1 teaspoon sesame oil and pepper into 600 ml of soup stock.
2. Stir well.
3. Mix one and a half tablespoons of cornflour with 1 tablespoon of water for later use as “thickener”.
1. Heat the wok and add in enough oil for deep-frying.
2. Coat a little cornflour on the surface of the meatballs.
3. Deep-fry them till 80% cooked. Remove and put on plate for later use.
4. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil and fragrant the oil with a few slices of ginger.
5. Fry the chinese cabbage and pour in hua diao wine at the sides of the wok when the cabbage is done.
6. Stir the “SAUCE parts 1 and 2” and pour into the wok.
7. Add in the deep-fried meatballs and simmer till cooked, about half the amount of sauce will be gone.
8. Transfer all onto a small shallow bowl.
9. Steam for one hour.
10. Remove the meatballs and the chinese cabbage. Pour remaining sauce onto heated pan.
11. Thicken the sauce with “part 3 of the SAUCE”.
12. Coat the meatballs and cabbage with this thickened sauce.
13. Garnish and serve!!!