Steamed Yam Cake
My favourite yam cake!! I only eat yam cake that my mum makes!
1. yam 350g
2. (荷花牌 粘米粉) Rice flour 350g
3. corn flour 50g
4. water 1200ml
5. dried prawns (虾米) 40g
6. shallots 3 pieces (cut into fine slices)
7. Chicken shreds 100g (can be replaced with roast pork!! More fragrant!)
Seasonings for Marination of chicken shreds:
1. Soya sauce 1 tablespoon
2. pepper half teaspoon
3. ginger wine (姜酒) 1 teaspoon
1. salt 3/4 tablespoon
2. Five-spice powder (五香粉)
4. Sesame oil 1 teaspoon
5. Fine sugar 1 tablespoon
6. Chicken stock 1 piece
1. Steam the yam. Then cut into fine cubes. Mesh them up after that.
2. Season the chicken shreds for 30 minutes.
3. Mix the yam, rice flour and corn flour with the water.
4. Add 3 tablespoon of oil into wok. Stir-fry the shallots and dried prawns till fragrant.
5. Then add in the chicken shreds. Stir-fry till cooked.
6. Add in the mixture of yam, rice and corn flour and water into the wok.
7. Stir-fry till the whole mixture becomes thick.
8. Remove from heat.
9. Pour the whole mixture into a 9 inch mould.
10. Steam for 25-30 minutes. Test with a skewer to check if it’s cooked. (Poke the skewer into the middle of the yam cake. If it comes out clean, means cooked!)
11. Let it cool for at least 4 hours before cutting with a plastic knife.
12. Garnish with sesame seeds, deep-fried shallots, fried dried prawns, chilli, coriander and spring onion. THEN EAT!!
You can put the remainder into the fridge. Coat with some corn flour, then pan-fry them the next day to get crispy yam cake! I like to eat them with alot of sesame seeds, shallots, coriander and TABASCO!