Braised Pork Belly with Preserved Vegetables
A dish that we will eat once a year, during CNY. Because the deep frying of the pork belly is tedious. This dish will make you eat bowls of rice.
1. 600g pork belly (五花肉)
2 400g salted preserved vegetable (咸梅菜)
3. 200g sweet preserved vegetable (甜梅菜)
4. 6 pieces of garlic with skin (蒜瓣 连衣)
5. 1800ml water (清水 )
1. 1 tablespoon soya sauce
2. 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
3. Half tablespoon dark soya sauce
4. 1 tablespoon sugar
1. Soak the salted preserved vegetable in water overnight.
2. Next day, drain dry. Then cut into fine pieces.
3. After washing, soak the sweet preserved vegetable in water for 20 minutes.
4. Drain dry. Then cut into fine pieces.
5. Put the pork belly into boiling water and cook for 20 minutes.
6. Remove the pork belly and wipe it dry.
7. Coat the pork belly with one teaspoon of dark soya sauce.
8. Deep fry the pork belly until it is golden brown.
9. Remove from the hot oil, and put into ice cold water immediately.
10. Soak for 20 minutes.
11. Heat in the wok 4 tablespoon of oil.
12. Throw in the 6 pieces of garlic into the oil for fragrance.
13. Pour in the 1800ml of water and the mixture of seasonings.
14. Add in the pork belly, the sweet and salted preserved vegetables and bring to boil.
15. Cover the wok and simmer for approximately 90 minutes or more so that the pork belly absorb the seasonings and also to turn soft.