Personally I only like the soup. I don’t really eat the watercress. My youngest brother is usually the one eating them.
1. Boil 5 big bowls of water.
2. Add in roasted pork bones (烧猪骨), watercress’ thick stems (not the leaves and young stems), red dates, dried octopus (干鱿鱼), dried oyster (干耗), one plum (梅) and around 1 tablespoon full of bitter apricot kernels (北杏) into the water to boil together. Alternatives are pork ribs or chicken bones. Boil under gentle fire for one hour.
3. Add pork into the boiling soup and boil for another hour.
4. Add in the remaining watercress and boil for another half hour or so.
5. Season according to your tastebuds – salt, soy sauce, pepper, chicken stocks.